Worn cords can cause shock, short circuit or a fire. Pull the plastic housing of the electric plug to take it out of the wall socket; never pull on the cord.
Why shouldn’t you pull a plug by its cord?
Plugs and Cords
Unplug power cords by holding the plug and pulling it out gently. Pulling the cord may cause a break in the wire resulting in a short circuit. Always switch off the power before plugging and unplugging a power cord. This practice will prevent sparks which may damage the plug and cause a fire.
When should you unplug electrical equipment?
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends unplugging electrical devices when not in use, predicated on the obvious but nevertheless correct observation that something unplugged can’t start fires or shock someone.
Why is it dangerous to use an appliance that has a damaged cord?
The electric cord on your appliance contains a live wire that is securely insulated. But if a cord becomes frayed, the live wire can be exposed. This is dangerous and can leave you vulnerable electric fires.
Is it OK to plug a refrigerator into an extension cord?
The biggest concern with using an extension cord to power a refrigerator is using the wrong cord, which can lead to overheating of the cord, damage to the appliance and increased risk of fire or electric shock. Never try to plug a three-pronged appliance into an un-grounded extension cord.
How should you disconnect an appliances from an electrical outlet?
Switch off and unplug appliances that aren’t in use (hairdryers, styling irons, electric razors, etc.).
In the bathroom,
- Never reach to pull it out of the water—even if it’s off.
- Turn off the power source at the circuit breaker box, then unplug the appliance.
- For your own sake, always replace the appliance.
Is it bad to unplug appliances?
So is it worth the trouble? The energy costs of plugged-in appliances can really add up, and unplugging these devices could save your up to $100 to $200 a year. Another benefit of unplugging your appliances is protection from power surges.
Should you unplug appliances?
Unplugging appliances has the potential to save you money on expenses, and this practice can also increase the life of your belongings. The more items you have plugged in around the house, the more susceptible your devices are to damage through an unexpected power surge.
Is it bad to plug and unplug appliances?
The basic answer is no, they will not suffer any damage by unplugging them when they are on. This is the same as a loss of power, and most appliances can tolerate it. However, there are some small exceptions for some devices.
Is a twisted electrical cord dangerous?
If you kink it, knot it, or crush it and even bend it, you can break the insulation, which may cause a short circuit and a fire or even an electric shock. Most cords used carry regular 110-volt electricity.
What is the electrical hazard?
An Electrical Hazard can be defined as a serious workplace hazard that exposes workers to burns, electrocution, shock, arc flash / arc blast, fire, or explosions. By identifying these hazards, and understanding how they happen, we can take steps to protect ourselves.
What type of hazard is frayed electrical cords?
Worn, frayed, or damaged insulation around any wire or other conductor is an electrical hazard because the conductors could be exposed. Contact with an exposed wire could cause a shock. Damaged insulation could cause a short, leading to arcing or a fire.