Fire extinguishers with a Class C rating are suitable for fires in “live” electrical equipment. Both monoammonium phosphate and sodium bicarbonate are commonly used to fight this type of fire because of their nonconductive properties.
Which extinguishing agent is the best for use on electrical fires?
Class C fire extinguishers are the only type suitable for smothering the flames of a fire that is still connected to an electrical source.
What should be used to extinguish a electrical fire?
The best way to put out an electrical fire is with a fire extinguisher. … You should never throw water on an electrical fire because water conducts electricity and you could be electrocuted. 2. If you don’t have a fire extinguisher, you can use baking soda to extinguish an electrical fire.
How do you extinguish an electrical fire with a fire extinguisher?
In terms of which fire extinguisher to use for an electrical fire, you will need to use one which is non-conductive. With an electrical fire, you should only use extinguishants such as powder or CO2 (carbon dioxide).
What agents smother a fire?
Water and foam fire extinguishers extinguish the fire by taking away the heat element of the fire triangle. Foam agents also separate the oxygen element from the other elements. Water extinguishers are for Class A fires only; they should not be used on Class B or C fires.
How do you extinguish a fire?
The most common method is to use water to put out the fire. The water takes away heat by cooling the fire. Water also smothers the fire, taking away oxygen. Some firefighters use foam as an alternative to water.
How can we extinguish fire?
All fires can be extinguished by cooling, smothering, starving or by interrupting the combustion process to extinguish the fire. One of the most common methods of extinguishing a fire is by cooling with water.
What do you do after an electrical fire?
What To Do In Case of an Electrical Fire
- Do not panic. The most common reason why an electrical fire becomes worse has something to do with heightened emotions. …
- Cut off power in the affected area. …
- Use baking soda as a first aid. …
- Never use water to put out the fire. …
- Call emergency services or an electrician.
How do you stop an electrical fire in your home?
What to do in case of electrical fire?
- Call the fire department. …
- Turn off the fuses. …
- When the fire is small: some sodium bicarbonate, a blanket. …
- When the fire is large: CO2 fire extinguisher (carbon dioxide) or Dry powder fire extinguisher (ABC). …
- What NOT to do before an electric fire?
- –DO NOT extinguish with water.